Amazing Media: Web Advertising YOU Control!
CAUSES OF ACUTE PANCREATITIS:
- "GET SMASH'D"
- Gallstones, Ethanol, Trauma, Steroids, Mumps, Autoimmune(PAN), Scorpion bites, Hyperlipidemia, Drugs(azathioprine, diuretics)
- A - appearance (color)
- P - pulse (heart rate)
- G - grimmace (reflex, irritability)
- A - activity (muscle tone)
- R - respiratory effort
Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia: Each of the MENs is a disease of three or two letters plus a feature.
- MEN I is a disease of 3 P's (pituitary, parathyroid, and pancreas) plus adrenal cortex
- MEN II is a disease of 2 C's(carcinoma of thyroid and catacholamines [pheochromocytoma]) plus parathyroid for MEN IIa or mucocutaneous neuromas for MEN IIB(aka MEN III)
Acute pneumonia caused by Pyogenic bacteria--PMN infiltrate
Acute pneumonia caused by Miscellaneous microbes--Mononuclear infiltrate
Takayasu's diz = pulseless diz, therefore when you have Takayasu's, I can't Tak'a yu pulse.
CAGE--alcohol use screening
- Have you ever felt it necessary to CUT DOWN on your drinking?
- Has anyone ever told you they were ANNOYED by your drinking?
- Have you ever felt GUILTY about your drinking?
- Have you ever felt the need to have a drink in the morning for an EYE OPENER?
P-Q-R-S-T--eliciting and HPI and exploring symptoms
- P--palliative or provocative factors for the pain
- Q--quality of pain(burning, stabbing, aching, etc.)
- R--region of body affected
- S--severity of pain(usually 1-10 scale)
- T--timing of pain(eg.-after meals, in the morning, etc.)
A-S-C-L-A-S-T--eliciting and HPI and exploring symptoms
- A--aggravatiing and alleviating factors
- C--character, quality
- A--associated sx
- note: ASCLAST means let the patient talk first, then ask him/her specific questions
Argyll-Robertson Pupil--syphilitic pupil: Accommodation reflex
present, Pupillary reflex absent due to damage at pretectal area.
Also called the "prostitute's pupil" (accommodates but does not
The five W's--post-operative fever
- Wind--pneumonia, atelectasis
- Wound--wound infections
- Water--urinary tract infection
- Walking--walking can help reduce deep vein thromboses and pulmonary embolus
- Wonderdrugs--especially anesthesia
Predisposing Conditions for Pulmonary Embolism: TOM SCHREPFER
- C--cardiac disease
- R--rest (bed-bound)
- E--estrogen, pregnancy, post-partum
- P--past hx
- R--road trip
HYPERSENSITIVITY REACTIONS: "Anna Cycled Immediately Downhill--Gell & Goombs" or "ACID."
- Type I Anaphylaxis
- Type II Cytotoxic-mediated
- Type III Immune-complex
- Type IV Delayed hypersensitivity
WBC Count: "Never Let Mom Eat Beans" and "60, 30, 6, 3, 1"
- Neutrophils 60%
- Lymphocytes 30%
- Monocytes 6%
- Eosinophils 3%
- Basophils 1: